The Fluval FX6 is yet another new Canister Filter for fish tanks and aquariums that need some serious filtration. Building on the previous big mombasa of canisters the Fluval FX5, the sixth iteration does away with grey and orange for black and red, plus a few new bells and whistles.
Ratings for canister filters are funny things, as surely no one would use just one Fluval FX6, or any single big canister, to filter a 400 gallon aquarium as Hagen suggests. But the point remains that 500 gallons per hour of bypass-free mechanical, chemical and biological filtration goes a long way.
Some of the innovations of the Fluval FX6 canister are built in fittings for performing water changes, although you gotta bring your own hookups and electronic monitoring and control of the pump motor to ensure a strong consistent output.
We got really excited when we saw what appeared to be control dials on the top of the Fluval FX6′s top housing. Alas, these turn out to simply be “maintenance dials” so you can set the date for when you last cleaned the filter media, or when you want to remind yourself of when you need to get back in there.
For somewhere between $350-399 you can pick up a Fluval FX6 for your dirty fish tank, but at least it comes with the full complement of filter media.
- Multi-Stage Filtration produces healthy aquarium water
- For fresh and saltwater aquariums
- Features Smart Pump Technology for optimal filter performance, efficiency and management
- Advanced motor technology provides better performance and reliability while consuming 10% less electricity
- Click-Fit AquaStop Valves allow fast setup and leak-proof maintenance
- Valves are positioned at 45 degree angles and rotate for easy installation
- Self-starting filter-just add water and plug in-Smart Pump Technology will do the rest
- Monthly maintenance indicator allows you to remember the date of your last filter maintenance/water change
- Heavy-duty Anti-Clog Telescopic Strainer ensures continuous flow
- Multi-Directional Output Nozzles can be adjusted to create specific water flows
- Purge Valve with Drain Hose for easy maintenance and flushing of the canister
- Water change feature eliminates need to carry buckets of water-simply attach appropriate hose to the output-Smart Pump Technology will do the rest (Kit sold separately)
- Flow rate: 2130 litres (563 US gallons) per hour
- For aquariums up to 1500 litres (400 US gallons)