When we brought you the news of Continuum Aquatics releasing a new lines of aquarium products we did get the question of what makes them different than other products on the market. Granted many reef aquarium products are similar and can come down to a brand preference or price, so when we looked at the Continuum Aquatics calcium compounds line, we wanted to find out what makes this different.
Industry veteran Jack Kent had a simple philosophy he’s honed over decades of experience in the hobby and that is to keep the organic compounds out of the product. So that mean’s keeping gluconates, lactates, acetates, citrates or other organic compounds out of Continuum’s calcium products.
“They are all inorganic because we don’t believe in feeding the reef a heavy load of organics every time we dose calcium,” notes Kent. “It is just a difference in philosophy, but one that could have a great impact on the growth of unwanted organisms.”
The philosophy makes sense when you consider with dry forms like calcium citrate may only have around 20% calcium meaning 80% of this solution is organic materials. So when you’re raising your calcium levels, you may be adding a heaping dose of organic compounds — something we fight so hard to remove from our aquariums with protein skimmers, vodka dosing, biopellets and other forms of biological filtration boosters.
Continuum Aquatics Reef Basis has six different forms of calcium addition methods to give the hobbyist the complete choice. From an easy method, a tried and true traditional method or the latest craze, you have a choice that is not laden with organic compounds.
Even with the removal of organics in additives, there are other things to keep in mind. For example there is calcium chloride, in the Countiuum Aquatics Reef Basis Calcium, that could pose a chloride imbalance so the range of products let each individual choose what product works best for their skill level, budget and comfort level.
“Some of the calcium supplements that we offer have been popularly used for decades, such as Kalkwasser, while others have come in vogue at different times as the hobby has matured, such as part A & B products (ours is called Reef Sculpture), in response to a problem with traditional methods (as in ionic imbalance),” adds Kent. “Our Reef Basis Reactor contains suspended aragonite, so it provides a full spectrum of minerals for coral growth.”
Here is a rundown of the six calcium products from the website:
- Reef Basis Calcium is a high quality, maximum strength ionic calcium solution designed to safely raise the calcium level in marine aquariums, providing essential calcium for increased growth rates in corals, coraline algae, crustaceans and many other marine organisms. It contains no acetate, gluconates, polygluconates or other unnecessary organics to pollute your aquarium as many competing products do.
- Coralline Purple CX is specifically designed to encourage and accelerate growth of purple and pink coralline algae without fertilizing green algae. Because it is made from expensive marine aragonite, with added supporting minerals, it will not pollute your system like inexpensive aquatic muds of terrestrial origin may. It is phosphate and nitrate free.
- Reef Basis Reactor is a one step calcium buffer system that will provide calcium as well as carbonates and other minerals for rapid growth of coralline algae, corals, clams and other marine invertebrates. Because it is made from expensive marine aragonite, it will not pollute your system like inexpensive aquatic muds of terrestrial origin may. Because it is real aragonite, it is the stuff corals are made of!
- Reef Sculpture part A is the calcium half of a high quality, ionically balanced calcium and alkalinity control system When used as directed with an equal amount of part B, which is the buffering or alkalinity half, it will maintain calcium and buffering capacity in the same ratio found in natural seawater.
- Reef Basis Calcium is a high purity calcium in dry form, designed to safely raise the calcium level in marine aquariums, economically providing essential calcium for increased growth rates in corals, coraline algae, crustaceans and many other marine organisms.
- Reef Basis Kalkwasser is a high quality calcium hydroxide, the original German limewater method of maintaining calcium in a reef. It contains no acetate, EDTA, polygluconates or other unnecessary organics to pollute your aquarium. It may be the best way to add calcium to your reef, or at least it should be an integral of your regular maintenance program for your reef.