Although it can seem pretty innocuous, your UV sterilizer can potential be harmful and care should be taken to protect yourself whenever you are working around a UV bulb. Chalk this up as a lesson learned the hard way for one hobbyist in Singapore who was partially blinded after light exposure from when he was cleaning out his fish pond.
It was the first time the 34-year-old man was cleaning his fish pond and decided to leave the UV light on. The lamp damaged the outer layer his corneas and left him partially blind for 12 hours.
“Who knew that such a small lamp could be so harmful to the eyes and skin? When my friends heard about it, they were shocked,” said the man, who has recovered his vision, but his eyes are still sensitive to sunlight.
[via Singapore Seen]