We acquired a list of new upgraded features between the Red Sea Max 130 and their new Deluxe model the Max 130D. Here is a brief rundown of some of the features we spotted:
1. Surface skimmer inlet- this is upgradable and relly helps the water flow. It also pulls material off the surface of the water and works really well. If anyone wants to see an independant review of it, send me a PM enclosing your email address. Should be avail in USA/UK in the next few weeks
2. Adjustable protein skimmer neck: Unfortunately this is not upgradable due to the repositioning of the skimmer. We really did try to make it so older Max’s could use it but it simply wasn’t possible. This is a really cool system which allows the neck of the skimmer to be raised and lowered depending on protein levels. The result is great control of foam production.
3. Deeper top trim- allows great evaporation without the water level showing
4. Cable exits back of tank, not from the side
5. Increased lighting: The new lamps have increased PAR. Anyone changing their lamps will have new improved versions anyway. We strongly suggest lamps ae changed every 6-9 months.
6. Hood opening- the hood now opens fully and locks in to place. Not upgradable
7. New cabinet design- mainly aesthetic changes
8. Water level viewer. A small window in the left hand side of the filter allows you to see the level in the filter compartment.
9. Water cooling fan included as standard (later versions of Max may have had this item anyway. If not is is a retro-fit item. Please note it deals with salty, humid air and will perish over time. It’s inexpensive to replace and can cool the temp by 2-4 degrees.