Tropical International rolled out another food, Marine Power Gel Formula for DIY gel food and was showing it at InterZoo. The gel formula allows you to create flexible feeding options for your marine fish.
For this version from Tropical, the formula is developed for marine omnivores and invertebrates. Like its other fish food in the Marine Power line, it contains shellfish and mollusks along with five types of algae.
Like other gel-based make-your-own aquarium foods, the process is simple: add hot water to a powder and stir. After allowing the food to set and cool, you can keep the food in a refrigerator for up to 5 days and in the freezer for six months.
The benefit of gel food is allowing the food to stay together, which is helpful for grazers or large carnivores, when compared to flake or pellet food.
The video below showcases this food, as well as other food in the Marine Power line and has some creative ways to do some DIY foods:
- Grate it using a cheese grater for “flakes”
- Using funky silicon molds for stars or fish
- Pour the gel into a mold and then stick a suction cup in before it sets, then stick it on the glass
- Use string to make a hanging block of food
- Painting it on rocks for grazers or on plastic sheets to make a nori-like sheet
The gel formula should be available now or very soon from Tropical International distributors.